Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:41:28 +0000
From:         Paul Mayfield <paulmayfield@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Questions about (making) 3 window Westy Canvas

Cary,

I once picked up a '76 that had been torched. Only the fabric burned from a cooking mishap.

I took it to a place that makes custom boat tops etc.

I gave him a sketch of what I wanted- he sewed it up and installed it in two weeks. I think I paid $400. The fabric that I selected was heavy duty waterproof (like vinyl on a cloth backing) and the screens and zippers were much stronger than stock.

The windows were as large as possible, one in the front and two huge side windows. It worked out great! Fantastic ventilation, cool in the summer, No worries about rain, and very good insulation. The only consideration was condensation, but with those huge windows, it was always easy to leave a portion open at the top to vent humid air. It was bulky, a bit more care was needed when closing the top.

Compared to all my other westy tops, it was far superior and I would convert my '87 if the top wasn't like new.

Hmmmm. Maybe an even better top with GoreTex and self popping top could be the next project.. 8-]

Paul Mayfield '87 westeeee

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 02:17:32 -0800 From: Cary Chiang <cchiang1@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Questions about (making) 3 window Westy Canvas

Hi Listees:

A friend has offered to convert my original one window Westy canvas to three (or even four!), using his considerable sewing skills. Although I have seen a picture of three window canvas on the Busdepot site, I have not studied one in person. I am looking for feedback from listees who own the three window canvas regarding their likes or dislikes. Are the side windows large enough, and would a narrow fourth window above the rear hatch be a good thing, or not? Especially helpful would be the dimensions of the side windows, and where the window is located from the front edge of the canvas seam, and from the top or bottom edges. Any links to other photos would be a plus. Thanks in advance!

Cary