Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Dec 2001 18:37:03 -0800
From:         Dan Snow <dieselvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dan's Diesel Rebuild Part 10

I should clear up something from my last note—I am not using the accessories from the dasher engine. I am transferring everything from the old van engine to the new dasher engine.

So then started prepping the motor for installation. I mounted the flywheel (not using new bolts—Doh!!) and the clutch etc. I centered the clutch with a deep-well socket that fit into the middle of it. I pounded in the new pilot bearing with a hammer and piece of wood. I greased it with synthetic grease.

I waited to install the motor mounts until I had the engine bolted up to the transmission, because I didn’t want to have to thread them up through then engine compartment past the cradles while simultaneously trying to get the engine mounted up to the transmission. I put the engine on the ground on the piece of carpet, slid it around back of the van, and rolled the van backwards over it. I attached ropes to the engine and hoisted it into place. I had to lower it and adjust the ropes a few times before I got an engine attitude that matched the bolt holes in the transmission. I jiggled and swore and finally got the transmission input shaft pushed into the middle of the clutch and pilot bearing. I then bolted the tranny up to the engine, installed the motor mounts, and started installing the accessories.

I cleaned the oil pump screen, checked it for wear, and played with the pressure relief valve to see if it stuck open or closed. It all seems fine. Bolted on the oil pan. This oil pan is a work of art.

Did the first 180degree stretch of the head bolts. Didn’t have a breaker bar, so I used my friend’s sweet big-a snap on torque wrench. I can say with certainty that the first head bolt stretch on a VW diesel is less than 200lb/ft of torque, because it never popped while I was stretching the bolts.

I bolted up all of the accessories, doing the injectors and plugs before the injection pump.

I did the injection timing, inserting the tool into the hole on the injection pump sprocket, finding TDC through the spyhole on the transmission, and locking the cam into place with a homemade tool. Here, I digressed from the Bentley manual on setting timing, because it seemed wrong (please tell me if I’m wrong). The manual says to put on the belt once everything is in place, tighten down the camshaft sprocket bolt, then adjust the tension on the belt. This seemed to me like it could cause the cam and the injection pump to change their relationship by a few degrees, because tightening slack in the belt would cause the cam to move without the pump until the slack between the cam and the pump was taken up. So I put on the belt, set the tensioner, then tightened the camshaft sprocket bolt. The three heavy hitters seem to be in perfect alignment now, even after a few turns of the crankshaft.

I rotated the engine through a few revolutions, and didn’t hear any bad noises, just the hiss of air trying to get past rings and valves. It is definitely harder to turn now with the headbolts tightened down and the injectors and plugs in. Lots of compression.

I followed list advice and powered up the oil system with a 13mm socket on my drill (clockwise). Got a squirt out of the oil pressure sending unit hole, then put in the used double sender (idiot light and gauge sender). I am now deeply paranoid that I might have forgotten to flush out an oil gallery or something and there’s like sand or some other such hideous substance waiting to get pumped into my pristine new bearings. They should make it so you can backflush the oil system from time to time. Anyway, that really does get us up to date. All that remains to be done is to put on the vacuum pump and bleed the fuel system until I get squirts out of the fuel lines. And fill the cooling system. Then I will bolt them up and light the fuse on this bad boy. I’m very excited. Should be tomorrow or Saturday.

I will put in my junkyard Jetta VDO oil pressure and voltmeter gauges before I fire it up. They are neatly mounted, but any advice on wiring them? Particularly where to access power lines behind the dashboard and where to hook up the voltage gauge?

Any final advice??

Daniel Snow

'82 Vanagon Diesel '78 Puch Maxi Luxe Moped '01 Xootr Scooter http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/snow/vanagon/vanagon.html