Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Dec 2001 22:26:01 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions about (making) 3 window Westy Canvas

> Has anyone out there used Sunbrella for poptop canvas? I used to make > marine tops with it, and it seems like it might be a good fit as well, > especially in the waterproof/mildew proof department. > Ron?

Plusses (versus cotton canvas): - Won't fade after long-term exposure to bright sunlight (perhaps an advantage in marine applications, where it's exposed to sun all of the time, both directly and reflected off of water; not as important on a poptop, which is closed more often than open) - More mildew resistant than cotton?? (No direct knowledge of this but I wouldn't doubt it)

Minuses: - Cost - Not easy to fold; less pliable than a standard cotton canvas, which can make it harder to close the poptop. - Less "breathable" than cotton?? (I've read this claim but again have no direct knowledge)

In terms of "waterproofness," cotton canvas darkens a bit when wet, perhaps absorbs water more than Sunbrella (which seems to repel it). But I have not seen either actually let water in, even in very heavy rain. So I'd call it a draw in that regard.

Bottom line (in my opinion) is that each has different advantages and disadvantages. If the price were the same it would be a close call. But it isn't. We do offer the tops in Sunbrella, but they're around $60-70 more. Personally (if I were buying it for my van), I can't say that I pay more for it. To me, the difficulty in folding would be a more noticable drawback on a day-to-day basis than any of its advantages, and I'd rather save the extra money for a more neccessary expediture.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com