Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:27:16 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dec.7th----
Comments: To: Yoshi <yoshi@C1.NETSPACE.OR.JP>

At 06:27 AM 12/7/2001, Yoshi wrote: > > Remember Pearl Harbor---- > >//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// > >Terry, > >What does this mean? I hope for your explanation. > >Yosh@from Japan > Yosh@87'Westy

Yoshi, just before 0800 on 7 December 1941 the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked the US naval facility in Hawaii with bombers, torpedo bombers and strafing aircraft. The attack was intended to cripple the US Navy in the Pacific Ocean, and it nearly succeeded. All our battleships were sunk along with much other damage. This opened the state of war between US and Japan in the second World War.

The attack did not completely succeed because 1) our aircraft carriers were not in the harbor at the time of the attack and 2) it made the US extremely angry and determined to succeed.

Japan intended the attack to be in the samurai tradition of awakening a sleeping enemy immediately before killing him -- they had arranged for a diplomatic note to be delivered to the US President one half hour before the attack. However the Japanese embassy were not able to decode and deliver the note until over one hour after the attack, so that the attack was truly a surprise, although it was not a surprise that there would be an attack somewhere and some time because Japan and US were already very angry with each other and diplomatic negotiations were failing.

This is a tiny description of a very big story but I hope it is some help to you.

best regards david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"