Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Dec 2001 13:16:47 -0800
From:         Seth Bruggeman <SBruggeman@EXCITE.COM>
Subject:      hesitation troubleshooting--re previous post by Steve Cotsford

I am going through several past posts concerning heistation/fi problems in hopes of curing my particular problem (84 1.9 that stumbles at certain points during acceleration--for instance, when increasing rpm from idle, it stumbles at about 1300 rpm then steadies at 1450 rpm). I need elaboration on two related posts. The first was made by Steve Cotsford a few months ago in response to my own inquiries about a ECU burnout leading to the death of my last engine (sorry, I can't find Steve's email so, Steve, if your out there, this is for you). Steve mentioned that he had a bucking broblem he solved by rewiring the aux air regulator to prevent it from depriving the fuel injectors of their groud. Steve, how did you do this?? I found the hidden connection you mentioned and have identified all wires involved, now the question is where to re-route the aux air reg lead.

The second related post was made by Mark Keller in June and included a summary of a vw bulletin concerning fi troubleshooting. That bulletin also mentions the problem of the hidden connector and advises that the wires be soldered:

Fuel injection wire harness internal connections (injector power and ground terminal #94, G1 and G2) butt type connector inside the harness cover can also be a problem. Intermittent missing in lower gears and some at highway speeds. These three connections are to be soldered. Refer to harness checks in the microfiche or the Digifant I & II ProTraining manual, pages 40-43.

Does this mean that the connector should be removed and each wire soldered to each other--i.e. duplicating the effect of the connector, but with solder. Or does this mean to solder the six wires into two wire groups--each wire being soldered to only one other? If this is the case, which wires go together?

Any suggestions--from Steve, Mark, or anyone else in the know--would be appreciated.

Many Thanks, Seth Bruggeman

______________________________________________________________________________ Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite Messenger http://messenger.excite.com