Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:18:07 -0500
From:         Brian Atkins <briandeanatkins@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sale @ Bus Depot

Ron,

As Vanagon owner who has a van with long list of items that need attention, I appreciate anyone who goes out of their way to make owning and maintaining a VW easier and less expensive. That's why I have to say 'thank you' for the everyday discounts that you offer mailing list members and the special effort for today's sale.

From someone who comes from a background in retail, I can appreciate the effort and cost associated with running a sale. But, when the sale has a great deal of limitations imposed on your customers, it makes the final sale more difficult to justify.

I recently ordered my CV joints, Bently manual, and shocks from your company. After I received the parts, I went through your catalog, making another long list of items that my Vanagon needs. Today, I was ready to order almost everything on the list from Bus Depot. After the order was in the computer and ready for payment, I found that my total discount on an order of about $700 amounted to less than $23.

I learned that the discount only applied to items that you had on-hand, even items that you normally stock (namely seals and shift rod parts). Though you would have to re-order them in for normal stock anyway, these items did not apply for a discount. I guess what irks me the most is that I spent about 45 minutes on the phone to order parts and only at the end of the order did I find out that the discount was much less than I had calculated. The way you made it sound in your email to the Vanagon list that we could expect some real savings.

Ron, I appreciate the fact you do offer discounts to members of this group. I also like the fact that you usually have the lowest prices on vanagon parts on the East Coast. But, I'll probably think twice next time before jumping on a 'sale' at Bus Depot.

Brian Atkins '85 Vanagon (Family Mobile) '73 Beetle (long term project)

--

__________________________________________________________________ Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/