Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Dec 2001 19:19:50 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot Sale

> Just curious about the Bus Depot Triple-Discount sale? Did many people > order? Think there will be another sale?

Well, I can say that in terms of sales volume, the response was tremendous - nearly twice what I had expected. In fact a couple of people said that they had trouble getting through by phone. For most of them, either persistence or using the website paid off. For any who did not get through, I apologize; we took the calls as quickly as we could, but suddenly found ourselves handling the sales volume we get during a peak summer day, with a smaller off-season staff on hand. Hopefully I'll be able to do this again, so that anyone who missed out can get another chance. That will of course depend on whether we made any money. It will take a little while to gauge that. I would like to do it again one way or the other. Worst case, if we lost money at a triple discount, I could always do a double discount or something. But if we made out alright I'd like to do it again the same as last time.

With regard to someone's complaint that the sale only applied to items in stock, actually this is not completely correct. If the part was out of stock, but could quickly be replenished, I accepted the order for that part. That includes about 5000 items that we can quickly get from distributors who ship to us daily. What I could not accept was orders for parts that could NOT be replenished by the time the order shipped. This would have forced me to backorder those parts and ship them separately. Every time we backorder an item, we lose money, because we ship each backordered part without charging additional shipping. So if I backorder a $10 part, and then ship it separately at a cost of $2 postage, the postage expense kills my profit on that part (plus I have to pay someone to pack and ship it, so I actually lose a little money). If I did that PLUS sold the part at 15% off, I'd lose more money than I could afford to. I know some of you would rather that there were no rules or limitations on the triple-discount deal, but if I didn't impose certain limitations that prevented it from becoming a financial blood-bath for the Bus Depot, I couldn't have done it at all.

Anyway, I thank all of you for your tremendous response, and hope to be able to do it again. I'll definately keep you posted.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders Only: 1-866-BUS-DEPOT