Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:16:58 -0800
From:         lchase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Oh No ..... another  Auxiliary  Battery Installation posting
Comments: cc: vgonman@earthlink.net, harald_nancy@msn.com, developtrust@home.com

Folks,

Please forgive "another" posting concerning Auxiliary Battery Installation.

I have followed all the recent threads and searched the archives, devoured the great info posted by Sean & Harald/Nancy ... links below and excellent email advise from William.

Frankly I figured everything was pretty clear so off I went and purchased my Optima 750U Battery for my 1985 Vanagon GL Westy.

Anxiously gathered the tools, began removing the drivers seat and even the swivel base. No problems ... everything as others have so accurately described.

My goal was to install the battery on it's side like Sean has documented in his link below.

But of course once the drivers swivel was removed ....... I was faced with "Mean, Wicked, Bad" Sheet Metal covering all but the actual Battery Box opening.

I took the battery and twisted it this way and that, trying every angle of insertion I could think of. But of course the only way it would go in was with the posts facing up.

The remaining sheet metal is in the way of tilting the battery forward and placing it on it's side with the poles facing forward.

Sooooooo ........ am I correct in assuming that the only way to install the battery in the desired orientation is to cut two notches in the grounding bar thingie, for the battery posts to clear and enable the battery to be tilted forward?

Of course the other option would be to remove the whole sheet metal under the seat, but then I'd not be able to reinstall the seat swivel piece and I watch that feature.

Just want to make sure I made the correct conclusion before, reluctantly, cutting into my precious Westy.

Surgery is so "Evasive", prefer a more "Holistic" approach.

Sean Link:

http://www.vgonman.com/auxbat6.htm

Harald and Nancy Rust Link:

http://www.geocities.com/harald_nancy/dualbattery.htm