Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Dec 2001 22:26:44 -0800
From:         Rennie Wible <volksdragon@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Eurovan Wheels FIT Perfectly!!!
Comments: cc: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Quick history: '01 & '02 Eurovans come with a 'performance summer' tire. VW offers these customers a chance to purchase a full set of 16" steel wheels with 225/60R16 Dunlaps and hubcaps for $150.00 complete. Several requirements apply.

I have tried several times to order a set for, er, uh, a customer (yeah, that's it!), but to no avail. Finally, a customer came in and ordered a set. After making excuses that they would take 10 days to get (I am BAD), they arrived this morning, woo hoo! I tried one out on my syncro this evening, perfect fit! The load rating is 900kg per wheel, more than enough for us. The rim is 6J16 ET53. Okay, start calculating! I have taken a bunch of pictures of the rims on and off my syncro. I will post them tomorrow and post a link.

I made a few notations. I run Passat steel wheels now with 215/75R15LT Futura Dakotas. The tires are 4,000 miles new. They weigh in at 47lbs. The Eurovan 225/60R16 with rims weigh in at 49lbs. This shows a significant weight increase once fitted with 7.00R16 or some such tire.

Another thing I noted. The Passat rims have 1.25" clearance between the rim lip and the rear spring (Steve's springs). The eurovan 16" has 1.5" clearance. Clearly, no significant difference between the 2.

So far, I see no way to get this special offer for rim and tire package. However, the rims are available from any VW Dealer (or me). The P/N is 7D0 601 027 091 and ETKA lists them for mid '01 and newer. They list for something short of $100 each, and listee price is about $80. Please note that these rims still need to be center bored to 2.625" to clear the front syncro hubs. I did this to my Passat rims for $50 for a set of 5.

I will report more when my set shows up next week. I managed to make a deal with a customer, so she let me purchase her set. If they pan out and I can locate some good 16" tires, then my Passat rims and tires will be FS.

Rennie VolksDragon@earthlink.net Los Angeles Peyton Cramer VW

61 crew cab (911 powered) 86 syncro (shwenked) 01 jetta wolfsburg 1.8T (girl friended)