Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:56:52 -0600
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.NET>
Subject:      Crossing the Border the easy way

With all the discussion about how to get across borders I thought that I should share some advise learned the hard way in over 50 crossings. Having the majority of my family in Southern Ontario (Banana Belt) I've spent way too much time in customs on both sides.

1) Be courteous and short in your answers. Border guards think long-winded types are smugglers. I can't stress this point enough. Your not talking to a friend, or even your local cop. If you answer a yes/no question with more than yes or no your going to be a suspect. There is no exception to this rule.

2) If you smoke (anything) only bring a couple of PACKS of your local brands. And forget about rolling your own, even if they are legal in all of North America. The limits on personal use can vary with time of stay. When coming into the US I only carry a partial pack of Canadian Smokes since some border guards may question why I would spend so much for Canadian smokes when they are so cheap in the US (many haven't been over there since they were $7/pack)

3) Don't even think of trying to get Cuban Cigars back in a VW. The Dominican's are better and they don't get you busted.

4) carry receipts for your camera gear. I've never had a problem with this going into the US but for some reason the Canadians seemed to have a problem once.

5) Canadian guards are friendlier than the US! Once the Canadian sides lets you go you can ask about weather, lunch, etc, but at the US the same question will get you sent to the search lane.

6) Booze - IF you are going into Ontario you will be shocked by booze prices. If you have to have some only bring ONE bottle. It does not have to be declared. when you enter the US be sure all empties are pitched, and have no more that your allowed limit.

7) Spare Parts - keep them out of their boxes. Once, entering the US the van was searched and the biggest problem was all the spares under the rear seat. The guard thought I was buying them in Canada and trying to smuggle them back. Luckily there were enough old receipts in there as well to get the total value of non-documented parts under the limit (I never learned whet that make-belive limit was)

8) Identification. Your drivers license is not proof of citizenship, nor is a voters registration card. Bring either a passport or birth certificate for each person in the van. If any passengers are naturalized, be sure they have proper papers. This is a very big deal getting into the US.

9) Food - Many items are not allowed to cross. The easiest way to get through is to not have anything other than snack items in small quantities and nothing else. If your camping for any time you find whatever you need on either side of the border. Canadian range-fed beef may be really tasty, but you simply can't get it into the US. same with any live plants. If you are like me and always carry seasonings and spices in the bus, get rid of them before you cross. The hassle of trying to prove that the jar labeled Oregano really is oregano is only funny after a year.

10) Companions - A family is not as likely to be searched as you and 1 or 2 buds. If 3 young men try to enter the US in a VW plan on being searched. Be sure the bus is vacuumed and there is no chance of any "shake" in the carpets or even papers. If they find a paper you just may find your gas tank being dropped. (been there, done that) If they have any reason to suspect drugs by finding even a screen you will be searched in places on your person you would rather not even think about. If you can't trust a friend to not have anything on them, leave them at home.

11) preparation - if you cross planning on being searched, you'll often find a pleasant suprise in not being searched. If you don't plan on being searched you could be in a world of hassles.

12) CB, Ham radios, Radar Detectors - CBs and Radar detectors are not allowed to be used by US nationals in Canada. Ham gear is OK if you have a copy of your license on you. Hams should remember how to operate under reciprocal licensing agreements.

All in all, don't let this scare anyone. I've made over 50 trips to Canada and have only been searched 3 times. One was random, one was because a friend reeked of pot, and one was because I was tired and forgot how to talk to a guard. I used to not bring my birth certificate, but since Sept. 11 it is required to cross.

Chris Smith Unemployed Bum 'till Jan 3