Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:51:49 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Found Vanagon With Porsche Engine
Comments: To: ben@kbmc.net

BMC says:

<< I don't know the full lineup, but I know the 1977 911T had either a 2.4 or 2.7 in it. I wasn't aware of a 3.2 or 3.4 in 1972. The whole deal sounds sketchy to me. BMC :)>>

> I found a 1980 Vanagon (in a storage yard) its been there for three > years. The owner will sell it for storage charges of $2400.00. > The Vanagon has a 1972 Porsche 911T engine in it with a 5 speed tranny > and mechanical fuel injection (needs a $1300.00 fuel pump) he says. He > claims it to have a 3.2 Liter engine vs the lesser desirable 3.4 Liter. > All of which means nothing to me.>>

BenT says:

The 1972 911T came with a mechanically injected 2.4 liter flat 6. How do I know? I've owned enough of them. Got one sitting in the backyard. The same engine case (which has more magnesium -- more flammable) was used up until the 1977 model year. That year already had the bigger pistons which netted 2.7 liters. Mostly CIS injected unless it's been converted.

BTW, the T engines had cast iron cylinders vs nikasil (or other alloys) for the E and S engines. The T's also got cast steel cranks vs. forged cranks for the E & S.

There is no way any of those guys would have had a 3.2 liter engine unless it has been replaced. Stan, he probably mean 2.4 instead of the less desirable 2.2 liter. The 3.0's came in 1978 for the road cars. They got aluminum cases which were sturdier than the mostly magnesium cases. I'm not sure (too lazy to check) what cases were used for the later 3.2 Carerra and 3.6 engines.

MSDS does make the engine kit to swap in the 3.2 with the G50 trans. I know that they were working on the 3.6 swap as well. They use the 3.2 becasue the induction system can be tucked under the rear lid.

BenT