Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:33:57 -0600
From:         "Smola, Tony" <TSmola@TRIBUNE.COM>
Subject:      Don't waste your money on that thang!
Comments: To: "wilden1@juno.com" <wilden1@juno.com>

Stan,

You can get a complete 3.2L motor used for around 3,500 bucks. A much better motor than the 911T had.

If it is a 3.2 L motor with a 915 trans it could be worth it, you should price the fuel pump at Aase bros. , here in socal.

The number is 800-444-7444.....Good luck

Malibu Tony 85' westy......anemic 1.9L @ 6 degrees BTDC

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:18:50 -0600 From: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM> Subject: Found Vanagon With Porsche Engine

I found a 1980 Vanagon (in a storage yard) its been there for three years. The owner will sell it for storage charges of $2400.00. The Vanagon has a 1972 Porsche 911T engine in it with a 5 speed tranny and mechanical fuel injection (needs a $1300.00 fuel pump) he says. He claims it to have a 3.2 Liter engine vs the lesser desirable 3.4 Liter. All of which means nothing to me. I'm not knowledgeable on Porsche stuff and the 80 Vanagon body is trash, the mag wheels were stolen so it comes with 4 concrete blocks and wheels or tires. My inquiry into the condition of the engine netted me a buyer beware response of *it was running before the fuel pump quit*. Any chance this engine and tranny might be worth the $2400.00 he's asking? There are many parts missing from the Vanagon, no heater system, grill, bumpers, tail lights, cracked windshield, lots of seam rust to match the rust below every window. At 2600 pounds the body is worth 3.3 cents per pound less the $75.00 to get it hauled. I'd curious to know the HP on the engine and likelihood that it might transfer into a decent 80-83 Vanagon body. I'd like to hear your comments since everybody knows more about Porsche than I do.

Stan Wilder ________________