Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:35:39 -0500
From:         Isaac Taylor <itaylor@MEDIAONE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Crossing the Border the easy way (NO VANAGON CONTENT)

>The bacon is bigger. No, I'm not moving to Canada. > > Chris,

YES! A man after my own heart.

But seriously, I was grilled like never before crossing from Vermont into Quebec at Stanstead a few weeks ago. I was with a buddy of mine (we're both mid 20s) and we had packed VERY light for a weekend at the Rallye de Charlevoix. The border guard was suspicious enough about my black on black on black Golf with stripped interior, straight pipe and raucous cam-addled idle... and then I made the mistake of mentioning I had my passport. BOOM: out of the car, in the door, into the chair and the 5th degree for 20 minutes.

In the end they just asked a lot of questions that normally don't get asked crossing that border. They were very polite, and didn't search the car, or luggage. I found out later that two friends of mine were both asked about their military training and operational history - which nobody had mentioned to that point - and I found that very interesting... that a foreign country (albeit Canada) would have information about US servicemen in their databases.

At the other extreme, the US guys literally waved me through on the way home. Some poor yuppie in the Porsche in front of me was having his carpeting torn up, so I guess it was my lucky day. (And here I have *already* taken the carpeting, the whole interior, out of my car and everything!)

Isaac in Cambridge