Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Dec 2001 23:15:09 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Battery isolator
Comments: To: developtrust <developtrust@home.com>

What battery isolator comes in which model camper? The relay under the drivers seat in a Westy Vanagon is wored to disconnect the refrigerator circuit when the alternator is not charging. The blue wire is connected to the alternator warning light circuit. When the alternator is charging, it actually powers the relay. For some reason, they wired the ground to the starter solenoid circuit. I guess this is to disable the relay during engine starting. Of course, it would be unlikey that you would have alternator output while cranking the engine. Anyway, the ble wire is an ideal source topower a larger relay to chrge the auxiliary battery. Since it will power the relay only when the alternator is operating, there is no need to worry about one battery discharging into the other. You also don'y need wiring heavy enough to support the starter as would be needed if energizing the relay off the ignition switch.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: developtrust [mailto:developtrust@home.com] Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 7:40 PM To: Dennis Haynes Subject: Re: Re: Battery isolator

Are you suggesting to replace the one that comes in the camper with relays to isolate-charge the "house" battery? I have not hooked up my Optima yet but soon will and I see my auxiliary battery box has a relay of sorts in it now. Will this suffice or should I consider replacing it?

William Polowniak

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 3:54 PM Subject: Re: Battery isolator