Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Dec 2001 13:52:53 EST
From:         Steve Lashley <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: buying cars sight unseen

Tough question. I recently bought 3 EuroVans sight unseen all within 1 week.

One was on ebay where I got the seller to end the auction early. I sent a $1000 deposit, reserved a flight from St. Louis to Omaha and then the seller called a couple of days before and told me the head gasket blew. I got the deposit back, but I suspect the seller may have received a better offer.

The next one I purchased was listed on Autotrader and was at a Dodge dealer in Topeka KS. I called the previous owner and was told that the van was in excellent condition with all maint. work completed and up to date. The Dodge dealer said it was put through their inspection and it checked out and was guaranteed. I drove 271 miles out of my way to look at it and found a host of problems. The heater blower squealed, the exhaust system burned through the test pipe rubber cap on my test drive, and the brakes that the dealer said they replaced didn't work. The battery was supposed to be new, but it and the battery compartment was covered with corrosion where it looked like the battery had been overcharged and boiled over. The interior was dirty and stained and there were some good sized holes in back that hadn't been patched from a wheelchair lift. Also the belly pan and battery compartment covers were missing. No doubt I passed on it.

So I ended up with a nice 1993 Weekender that a customer traded in to a dealer in St. Paul. I flew up last weekend and drove it home. It checks out great with the exception of the exhaust system that will soon need replacement.

Sometime you need to travel a long way to get the vehicle you want. It is always a good idea to have a way out through. An agreement to get your deposit back if you don't agree on the condition of the vehicle and a return ticket in case you back out.

I would never consider buying something and having it shipped to me. I've heard too many horror stories.

Steve Lashley SKL Enterprises Inc. http://EuroCampers.com 636-797-9015 636-789-2127 fax