Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Dec 2001 14:35:08 -0600
From:         Marshall <mjruskin@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions about crossing the border into Canada with rebuilt
              engines to show and maybe sell
Comments: To: Robert Donalds <bostneng@fcl-us.net>, vanagon@volkswagen.org

I've commented youre questions with my answers:

Marshall Ruskin ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Donalds" <bostneng@fcl-us.net> To: <vanagon@volkswagen.org> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2001 12:39 PM Subject: Re: Questions about crossing the border into Canada with rebuilt engines to show and maybe sell

> > thanks to you both for your time > I would be bringing in engines to show distributors these would be resold > does that matter. Yes, it matters greatly - totally- where they are being sold from. If you want to enter Canada and sell products from the back of your truck - it's perhaps prohibited.

To show products and then sell and ship them from within the USA to Canada - is not prohibited at all.

Ask Canada Customs to clarify this.

> what is the GST Im guessing general sales tax and what is the percentage and > how can it be paid cash credit card.

It is usually 7%, and can be paid via credit card at the border, but best ask in advance.

Im bringing in propane industrial > engines mostly new brazilian parts and some rebuilt parts german cranks and > cams rods. does it matter used or new parts

I think it will matter, depending on the inspector. I think if a part is not new, best say it is rebuilt, because they can dream up all sorts of reasons why it cannot be sold in Canada if used. It also matters if the parts are to go into a vehicle for the highways - or if the parts are not for this purpose.

I cannot say what the issues are on particular car parts that have different national origins. Best ask.

Would it be safe to lowball the > value of these engines?

Well, they're not really stupid, but you could prolly value them as if they were North American parts.

how would they otherwise set a value do they go only > by what they are told.

They have databases etc. Remember the resources of a G7 Nation go into the Canada customs service.

The engines are not sold at this point but they could > be more atractive without the additional shipping costs and a possible > reduction of GST

No way you can get around the GST (Goods and Services Tax). Accept it, and also, there is almost certainly no way you can get around the cost of shipping parts from US to Canada. Only thing I can think of is align yourself with a Canadian distributor or create a Canadian division of your firm - that may help, but I am not an expert on this.

I would hate come back without closing a sale.

You can get them to sign a binding contract. Just realize that the goods have to come through customs before they are delivered to the customer.

My purpose > is to promote business am I better off not to conduct business

I would say yes - things will go much easier. For what it's worth, Canadians who wish to conduct businiess in the US have the same or similar constraints placed upon them. It's the way it is for everybody.

Hope this helps. Marshall Ruskin