Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Dec 2001 16:42:28 -0500
From:         "pierre a. lachance" <palachance@CCAPCABLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions about crossing the border into Canada with rebiult
              engines to show and maybe sell
Comments: To: Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>

Bob!

the only thing i have to say is that if you do call the cdn customs, try to take the name of the agents you are talking to, after he or they answered all your questions...if they do not want, at least his number...back in 97, i bought a weekender 85 in florida; before going down to get the west. i spent almost two hours talking to custom agents, in quebec city, also in lacolle on I- 87, where i was going to cross, and even called the us customs in lacolle also... everything seemed ok, and i was prepared for what they had told me. But when i drove back, the van was overevaluated by 2500.$cdn, had to pay a custom tax of 9%, as a german made van, they had forgot to tell me, Gst 7% and if you are unlucky, 7.5%, quebec provincial tax, and they had also forgot to tell me that i had to pay a broker, 250.$ to fill papers that i could have easily filled myself??? i have never been in south america, but that day, i really thought i was crossing to a "corrupt" country, where i had been living for 50 years ???

but on the contrary, you could also "fall" on a good guy or girl that will understand what are your good purposes or intentions... of our days, i try to always be legal, i do not talk too much, but answer their questions politely and directily!

good luck

pierre a. lachance lac beauport, quebec