Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:05:40 -0800
From:         Dana Morphew <kadm@PUGETSOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: 87 Lack of power

Bess's Buddies wrote:

> We disconnected the O2 sensor, and it drove just the same. No power over > 3200 rpm. Fine torque in first, fine running in low rpm range. Starts and > idles nicely, rev's up fine when idling.

Where is the ignition timing set at on your engine?

> 1. What is an AFM? I see in the bentley the whole system is called an > "AFC". Is it the "intake air sensor" (Air Fuel Mixture?) attached to the > air cleaner?

AFM is the air flow meter...it's a potentiometer for the air flow to the intake and also houses the temp 1 or air temp sensor. AFC is, I believe, air flow control(?). It is the type of fuel injection system used in the Vanagon engines.

> 2. This "TempII" sensor, is it the one the bentley just calls "Temperature > Sensor" that on the left hand side of the engine behind the spark plug?

Measures coolant temps. I don't have nor have ever had a 1.9 or 2.1 water-cooled engine, but this sensor is likely close-by where the picture in the Bentley shows it to be.

> > How does one test that temp sensor... with the engine running to see the > range in readings with the coolant temp? Or just a couple static readings > cold, warm, etc.?

I'd have to read the book, but it likely involves resistence readings at observed temps.

> > I'm a little nervous soldering that digitool to our computer (Is that the > "ECU"? The bentley calls it a "Control Unit") ... is it scary? I'm a bit of > a computer geek so I do know how to run a soldering gun, but soooo many > connections!

I just bought a 30 watt iron and am thinking of trying to do this in the future.

> > So we can floor it, and it doesn't rev up... but there is no gas going to > the cylinders as we had pulled a plug and it's running nice and beige. My > gut instinct tells me it's "intake air sensor" by the aircleaner...? is > that the AFM?

I'd just start going by the book and testing things and checkings connections and grounds.

> fine then. The idle stabilizer was acting strange and it wouldn't rev down. > (Oh, the days when it would rev up!) the wiring that goes to the "Idle > stabilizer control unit" was fried way back into the harness that went to > the power steering pump switch. It has now been disconnected, and has been > for awhile. It just is rough until it warms up, but the whole rev problem > went away.

I'm not familiar with the ways of the idle stabilizer. I've got a used one I'll sell with the socket and about 3' of wire ends connected to it.

-Dana-