Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:15:50 -0500
From:         Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Dyno testing my big valve engine was Re: Group Purchase of chip
              and 1.4 ratio rockers

Fellow vanagon types The camshaft upgrade is very minor It is a regrind of a stock camshaft so this limits the amount of fine tuning of the lobes that can be done. The way this is done is to make the base circle smaller. I personaly have Dyno tested 1,4 ratio rockers on stock type 1 engines the gains where 6 horse power that was above 3000 RPM when I put a heaver dual spring as suggested by Bergs the power dropped by 3 hp Mr Lilley says the gain is threw the power range but he has no data to back his claim other than the Berg catalog statements of increased over all power. I have posted the flow charts from my flow bench testing of the stock and large valve heads AMC waterboxer heads with lifts up to 500ths on my web site http://www.bostonengine.com/enginepricelist.html look for the flow chart link on the stage 3 engine. I have improved flow threwout the valve lift and the increase in power is pleasing I am Chassis dyno testing the 2.1 Big valve engine next week in Walpole Ma and I may be looking for fairly fresh well tuned stock 2.1 engine to compare the #s to drop me a email if you have the time next week on the 19th I have space for one van. I would really like somebody with ratio rockers to try it with and without to put this to rest. The shop I am working with has been burning chips Don't know at this point if he can copy the ozy chip or how thats even done. He is burning chips for the newer VWs. I will report my findings and post it for the world to see no charge. Mr Lilley come on up and so me the power Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com