Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Dec 2001 17:33:16 -0500
From:         "Joe L." <mejoe@EMAIL.TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Thanks guys, Now how do you set Idle Speed and Timing?

Thanks to Ken Lewis, John Lauterbach Edward Maglott, Jim Arnott, Mile Miller Zoltan Kutthy, P Savage, Malcom Stebbins and anyone else who's name does not appear in this list because I may have inadvertantly deleted his eamil. I replaced the recommended parts and there has been considerable improvement. I am now making some adjustments prior to running a few more tests. I am having some trouble getting the idle speed at 950 (+/-)while at the same time having the correct timing. For some reason, if I set the correct idle speed I cannot set the correct timing because the engine will stall before I acheive it.

During my struggle I noticed that I can turn that idle adjustment screw one hell of a lot of turns either in or out. So many turns that I begin to suspect that my problem may be due to my having turned the idle screw so damn far out that acheiving proper timing is impossible and the best thing I can do is to return everything to "the begining" and start the adjustments from "Square One". The trouble is I dont know where "Square One" is for that adle adjustment screw.

I looked through the Bentley for some instructions along the lines of "Set a rough idle speed by by turning the idle screw all the way clockwise then back it out three turns, from there make fine adjustments by ......... If any such instructions exist in the Bentley they are well hidden. Does any such "Rule OF THumb" exist? Is setting a proper idle speed an "Art"?

83.5 Westy