Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:33:02 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery Isolators vs. Relays

> I believe the amperage control is totally done by the relatively small > gauge of the wire feeding the aux battery. Only so much current will flow > through the wire.

Precisely. The Hella kit uses a high gauge wire which will only allow a limited amount of current to pass. Think of electrical flow as water going through a hose. A bigger hose lets more water pass; a smaller one restricts water flow. If you use a heavier gauge wire than Hella includes with the kit, you will in fact increase the draw going to the relay (and will pop the fuse). This is a very simple and effective way of keeping the current level under control, when combined with an appropriate relay and fuse.

> I installed exactly like the instructions & when you > turn on the ignition, the fuse pops immediately. Sean > had the exact same problem & he feels it's the tiny > little wires can't handle the load

No, as I explained above, the tiny little wires are tiny precisely to PREVENT the fuse from blowing due to overload. They are big enough to allow a moderate rate of charge without being so big as to overload the charging system. If you install the Hella kit and it pops fuses, there are three likely possibilities: 1) you used too heavy a wire; try reducing the gauge (if you didn't use the included wire); 2) you have a short somewhere or a misconnected wire; or 3) the battery has a dead short and is basically shot. (As someone suggested, this is unlikely to happen if you use a deep cycle battery instead of a starting battery for your aux battery. It is also best, just to be safe, not to run any battery completely dead.) That said, the Hella kit is one of the most popular items I sell. I have about 400 of them "out in the field" so far, not to mention that VW used thousands of virtually identical setups on their campers. The setup unquestionably works. There is something wrong in the wiring or use if it keeps blowing fuses.

> In a previous email to the list Ron said that if the relay does fail it is > likely to fail open, keeping the starter battery circuit functional. > This is not my understanding of relay failures - I thought that relays were > more likely to fail closed because the contacts weld together, particularly > if the current rating of the relay is exceeded!

Before that happened the fuse should blow. Therefore the most likely failure would be simple mechanical failure of the switch, not damage caused by excessive current. This does not mean that it could not fail in the closed position, but that it is not as likely to as with an isolator (in my experience).

> As to being convinced, I am too. I like the 15A limitation in one way (not > dumping from the starter battery), but not in terms of keeping the second > battery charged. I run a notebook computer off an inverter and I'd like the > second battery to be charged faster than 15A. I'm exploring other options, > but will probably end up with the relay.

There is certainly a compromise between rapid charging and safety. Hella's engineers decided that approx. 15 amps was the correct choice. A nice moderate rate of charge. If you severely deplete the camping battery, you will need to drive a little while to completely recharge it; just idling the van for half an hour will give it some juice but certainly not recharge it completely. You can estimate if this will be sufficient for you. Also, if your aux battery is severely depleted, it is best to minimize the use of high-drain items that are connected to it while you are driving and recharging, as this will extend the time needed to recharge the battery. I would say that the Hella kit is optimal for using moderate-drain devices such as interior lights, cigarette-lighter powered fans, laptops, cell phone chargers, etc. If you are planning on putting in a monster sound system with five amps that will kill the battery in 20 minutes, then the Hella kit is unlikely to recharge the battery as quickly as you might like.

> I'm not sure here if you're suggesting > that the fridge relay setup is somehow different from some > other VW dual-battery setups or something else?

The relay used in Westfalias factory equipped with dual batteries (i.e. Multivans, and '74-79 campers with electric fridges) are similar to the Hella kit. I believe (and I'm sure that someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that the one used for the fridge on Westfalias that only came with one battery (i.e. Vanagon Westfalias with propane fridges) are not exactly the same. Their function is slightly different, as they are intended to prevent the fridge from powering up when the key is off, rather than to act as a relay for a spare battery; however, they may in fact be very similar relays.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT