Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:09:24 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2nd battery relays & the Hella in particular
Comments: To: Tim Hannink <tjhannink@EARTHLINK.NET>
Comments: cc: pensioner <al_knoll@pacbell.net>

At 03:40 PM 12/13/2001, Tim Hannink wrote: >wire installed between pin 30 of the relay and the positive terminal of >the auxiliary battery. The relay is P/N 411 915 511B and the drawing on >the side shows an internal diode connecting pin 85 and the solenoid. A >green 18 gauge wire connects to pin 85, I haven't traced out where it goes.

Ok, that agrees with Bentley 97.34a/b except for wire color and the different sizes to and from the relay.

The diode is to prevent the relay from activating during cranking.

But now I'm *really* scratching my head over the precisely similar setup for the fridge relay. By this reasoning it should have an internal diode as well -- maybe it does (Al?) though it doesn't show on the schematic. Nor can I find the relay in ETKA.

I really think that VW's grounding the relay control terminal through the starter solenoid is excessive complication to little purpose. If there's someone who truly understands the reasoning could they please 'splain it to me? I thought I did, once...still think I do, I guess, but all this effort to prevent something that isn't going to happen (the alternator starting to charge while the engine is cranking) really puzzles me. What am I missing?

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"