Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:10:46 -0800
From:         pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Battery Isolator and wiring

So let's assume a few things. If the batteries differ by one volt then you have one volt with 50A capability applied across a five foot 14AWG wire. For a greater voltage difference you will have more available current say up to 150A.

I seem to recall that the headlights are wired with 14AWG. They draw ~5A and the wiring does fine. BUT the current is limited by the filament which has essentially no resistance when cold but instantaneously rises when current is applied..

The resistance of five feet of 14AWG is the question and if I had Audels or Terman handy it would be settled.

The simplest way to test this is with a variable power resistor and a 12V battery. With the wire in series with the resistor across the battery with it set to 500 ohms or so. Measure across the resistor. The voltage should be very close to the battery voltage. If you know the resistance then you know the current by Ohm's' Law. Repeat with lower and lower values of resistance until you calculate 15A current based on the voltage across and resistance of the resistor. ( you could use a calibrated ammeter of course)

The battery voltage less the voltage across the resistor is the voltage drop in the 14AWG wire for a 15A current. I suspect that voltage to be less than one volt.

Now repeat for a two volt drop across the WIRE.

Phlogistics theory will probably apply under this set of test conditions.

For a 10% voltage drop (say 1.3V) across 10 feet of wire 14AWG is RATED for 30-40A.

The ampacity for a wire is expressed as follows: CM=K*I*L/E

Where CM is conductor area in circular mils (from table) K=10.75 I =current in amps L=round trip length in feet E=Voltage drop across L in Volts

Minimum circular mils for 14AWG is ~3700.

So a nomogram of I vs. E for a 5 foot length is left as an excercise for the student.

E of course will dicatate the maxmimum voltage difference between the batteries to stay within the 15A limit.

pensioner