Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:10:23 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: filtering out off-color jokes, rants, etc - sort of long
Comments: To: Chris Stann <ChrisS@INFORMS.COM>

Chris,

You are at least 98.2% right. This is a family oriented list with members from all walks of life. I often speak of this list as family. I mentally picture us as continually sitting down to a monstrous family dinner, talking about our problems, hopes, dreams, and telling each other of our latest adventures. I would no more deliberately offend anyone on this list than I would a member of my real family at the dinner table.

I know, however, that I have offended a few folks on this list by making comments that I either should not have at all, or at least I should have worded differently. I believe I have been put in the position of needing to apologize to a few members four or five times since joining a couple years ago.

To accept dirty, mean-spirited, racist, and/or sexist comments/humor as the norm on this list would irreperably harm the nature and character of this group. Although some would welcome this, we would eventually lose a great number of our members who do not wish to wade through a sea of scum to get to the occasional pearl of meaningful dialogue.

There have been, over the last year or two, several attempts to set up alternative Vanagon groups so that dirty and racist and sexist comments could be interspersed with Vanagon germane comments/questions. I have signed on to all of them, mostly to monitor them (and, of course to learn a few new jokes). None of them seem to exist anymore. As Chris pointed out, you can pick up on the latest humor at many sites around the 'net.

I currently do filter out quite a few words with Outlook Express' filters, but mostly to avoid junk mail. I am not a prude, and actually very much enjoy the occasional off-color comment. The problem is that the noise/signal ration would change considerably if such posts were to be considered as "acceptable" postings.

I am constantly amazed that Tom can strike such a balance that we are allowed to make the off-topic posts that we do without letting the entire situation get out of hand. He's doing a helluva job with a "hands-off" management style and deserves far more credit than he usually receives.

I say 98.2% only because I'm not one of those who say that every post should only be Vanagon relevant. We do occasionally swing far afield, and though that equals a "waste of bandwidth" to some, I feel it does add spice to the "meal" we are currently enjoying together.

Did you all hear the one about the Polack, the Lesbian, the Redneck and the Atheist going camping in a Vanagon (RVC)? Seems that the Lesbian had a gun, and . . . . oh, never mind.

Love ya all,

Karl Wolz