Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:19:32 -0800
From:         David Thoresen <mr_epicfoto@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hotwiring a vanagon to check ignition switch
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net>

Thanks I tried that and guess what; it didnt work! (I heard the relays under the dash tick a couple times like I was turning my key) so that means it IS my starter.. :( boohoo.. well Schucks has them for $127 but it will take a couple of days to get :( I am hoping it might be the starter cylenoid (sp?) I understand that is cheaper but I havent been able to find one here in Kent, Washington. If anyone has one that works they want to sell for cheap or knows where I can get one here in Seattle area let me know!

Thanks! David '91 Vanapaperweight

--- Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net> wrote: > > Hey all! Ok just to check to see to make sure it > is > > or is not the ignition switch that is causing my > no > > start problems is it possible to hotwire the van > to > > see if the starter will go? if so which wires? > > hmm. never though of that! :) > > ok, from the bentley (which may NOT have anything to > do with Reality > in your bus) ... > > your ignition switch should have the following > wires: > - terminal 30 - red (goes off to the battery, to get > power) > - terminal 50 - red/black (red with black stripe). > that runs from the > switch to the starter and some indicator dash > lights. > - terminal X - black/yellow wire. that goes off to > the headlight > switch. > - terminal 15 - black wire. two wires, actually. one > goes off to the > dash, and the alternator warning light and other > warning lights. the > other one goes off to the ignition coil. > - termianl SU - gray/black wire. goes off to the > seatbelt warning > light. > > now, as i see it, to make the starter spin, you'll > need to jumper > (with a largish wire) from terminal 30 to terminal > 50. but you do NOT > want to maintain that jumper for any longer than it > takes the engine > to start up. > and to keep the bus running after the engine starts, > i THINK you'd > need to jumper terminal 30 with terminal 15. but > that i'm not sure > of. as i dimly recall, from years and years ago, > with old fords and > chevies, you had to jumper two wires (twist them > together was what we > did), then hold two more wires together long enough > for the starter to > work. then you let the 2nd pair separate. i'm not > sure the switches > work that way nowadays ... haven't had to hotwire a > car in 40 years. > ;) > > good luck! hope it helps. > joel >