Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Dec 2001 06:25:44 -0600
From:         Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: Replacing/Upgrading the Speedometer
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>

My speedo when I first got the Van was sporadic at best, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't----the needle did the maringa as I drove-----

The Fix?

Check out the oblong, or rounded out square hole in the R/H wheel bearing dust cover.

I took a ball pein hammer flattened it out, and filed it to fit the cable---solution accomplished.

I belong to the Fugawie tribe----don't care where I'm at anyway-----:>)

Finito-----

Terry

E-mail message From David Marshall

I have a Germin GPS II+ which is designed to be used in an automobile. I set it between the ashtray and the instrument panel. Never had a problem with the speedometer though, other than being about 5% too fast. David Marshall Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3 mailto:info@fastforward.ca <mailto:info@fastforward.ca> http://www.fastforward.ca <http://www.fastforward.ca> Phone: (250) 992 7775           FAX: (250) 992 1160 • Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions • Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation • European Lighting for most Volkswagen models -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Chris Reichow Sent: December 14, 2001 3:40 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Replacing/Upgrading the Speedometer Starting a few years back, the speedometer on my 1984 Vanagon GL started to become inaccurate. It eventually deteriorated to the point where I would be going 35mph down the road and it would be bouncing from 20mph to 60mph. It was pretty funny to watch, but unfortunately useless as an instrument to determine speed. So, in order to try to fix the problem, I went over to the local Pick n' Pull and got myself a replacement speedometer. It worked for a few months, but then slowly started to deteriorate, much like the old one had. Now, I am using a Garmin eMap GPS to tell me my speed, but it's inconvenient to use all the time. Thus, I was wondering if anyone on the list had a similar problem or knew how to fix it from happening again. I would evben go so far as to replace the sender, although I have no idea if it's really necessary. -Chris Reichow 1984 Vanagon GL