Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:48:14 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 5spd tranny
Comments: To: Gary Stearns <gstearns@OPTONLINE.NET>

All of the 5 speed Vanagon trannys are 094 AFAIK. The gearing is pretty standard in them but the r+p options vary depending on what engine they were originally attached to. Some have a different 5th gear. You can look at the tranny code on the bottom edge to see what gearing it started out with. Of course Weddle can and does regear trannys for different uses so the original code may not reflect what is actually in there. The North American diesel Vanagon 5 speeds are code DX.

Mark

Gary Stearns wrote: > > I have a 5spd trans from Weddle connected to my TiiCo conversion. Don't know > if it's an 094 or not, but I doubt it. The dogleg first gear does take some > getting used to, but it's a natural now. First is a tad on the low side, > but you're not going to get autobahn gearing in 2 ton vehicle propelled by a > 2.0 liter engine. What makes this trans shine is the "close ratio" aspect. > With one more gear, the rpm drop between gears is greatly reduced. You > don't fall out of the engine's power band. Similar to my 16V Jetta, the > gearing sounds almost like a motorcycle as you accelerate. I don't think > that the 5spd being sold by Chris Weddle is the same as the one that came in > the diesel. He sources them in Europe and a 48 hp diesel requires a lot > less from a tranny than 100+ hp waterboxer or TiiCo. If mine started life > behind a diesel it would be so much shrapnel by now. > > Gary > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "John Anderson" <jander14@WVU.EDU> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 7:57 PM > Subject: Re: 5spd tranny > > > At 01:50 PM 12/16/01 +1200, you wrote: > > >>one of my friends ahs a 90' Vanagon and wants a 5spd for it. did > > >>volkswagen make one for a 2wd? or does anyone make one for it? > > >> > > >>thanks, > > >> Shaggy > > > > > >The 094 5-speed was standard from at least 1984, though USA didn't > > >get it. It's not really usable as a proper 5-speed, as 1st is far too > > >low and sits left & back, behind reverse. Awkward! > > > > The 094 came on about 1/2 of the US spec 1983 diesels. Now being > > as those vans themselves are about rare as hell, doesn't help much. > > And as Andrew mentions it is sort of useless as far as a 5 spd goes > > anyway. If you merely want better cruising revs and are a true flat > > lander Weddle has a couple taller 4th gears available, doesn't help > > mountain people much. The main thing the 094 is good for is climbing > > offroad. > > > > John > > jander14@wvu.edu