Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:07:41 -0500
From:         Brian Atkins <briandeanatkins@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Possible Virus...

For those of you who have been receiving the .scr attachments on email received from supposed list members, I'd strongly advise you not to open it. If you have a virus scanner like Norton or McAfee AND (Note the BIG "AND") you have been updating the software on a regular basis, you should be able to detect whether or not the attachment has an embedded virus. If you don't have virus detection and you are still curious, go to:

www.cert.org

They track and maintain a list of current viruses. My best advice is that if you don't know the person who is sending the message, it's always better to delete it (and delete it from your 'deleted' items, too) than take the chance.

Mailing lists like this are prime targets for viruses as it is easy for a person to send a virus to a large amount of people in the shortest amount of time. With 800+ members, who I'm sure have email address books, the virus could be propagated to millions of email acocunts by the end of the day.

Sorry for the rant, it's what I do for a living. Computers, that is, not rant. I'll leave the rants up to Dennis Miller and George Carlin...

Brian

'73 Beetle '85 Vanagon GL IBM RS/6000 HP 9000 --

__________________________________________________________________ Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/