Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:56:34 -0800
From:         Bess's Buddies <bess@EARTHNOW.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Where is the AFM?
Comments: cc: kleinboy@MAC.COM

We tried this on our westy, and we still got really strange fluctuations in the ohmeter when opening up the baffle. In fact, it would start to go back down! (And here it's supposed to be a potentiometer!) This is what our bus has been doing.. under throttle with vacuum (load) it would just lose all hp and not go over 30. Idle fine, and be fine in the low end of the throttle/rpm's

We tried to move the contacts. We tried cleaning the little radiused board they mount to with electronic cleaner... but we still got wierd readings. like started at .49 to 1.5 to 1.9 to 1 to 0 (full throttle) and it wasn't smooth either... kinda jumpy and acting inacurate. Just like how it ran. Full throttle it would just gasp, and slow down, but we could drive it as long as we didn't go over 2500 rpm. Plenty of torque in the low end too.

I'm curious if you can come up with a way to fix it. Have you tried your meter on it yet?

We ordered a new one from the Depot, hope to see it in another day or so....

Glen & Ri 67 Singlecab - Klaus 87 Westy - Bess

At 02:30 PM 12/18/2001 -0800, you wrote: >Sorry, I'm sure that this has been covered MANY times and I found LOTS >of posts about the AFM in the archives, but I didn't find out exactly >where it is. I searched the bentley, but couldn't find it in the Fuel >Injection part of the book. Where is it and what should I seal it up >with after it take it apart? > >What I plan on doing is rotating the board in it so that the sensor will >move on a new track and also cleaning it with alcohol. Is that right? I >also am getting a new cap, rotor, spark plug wires and OXS to eliminate >any other possibilities. What else should I change or look at? I think >that cleaning grounds (where are they all) and making sure that >everything is connected will would be good as well. > >My original post is below. >> Hi all. I have a problem with my '85 vanagon that seems to be getting >> worse with winter. >> >> History >> ---------- >> Last winter, my vanagon developed a severe "hiccup" when I was cruising >> at 2900 RPM. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does it a lot now >> that it's not summer. During the summer it is not nearly as bad, but it >> still will do it on occasion. What happens is when the tachometer is >> passing 2900 RPM it will give a terrible sounding and feeling lurch. If >> I'm accelerating hard, it will usually just do it once assuming I pass >> through 2900 RPM quickly. >> >> • If I'm trying to cruise at 2900 RPM (any gear) it will continue >> lurching. >> • It doesn't occur at any other engine speeds. >> • Engine temp or the time I've been cruising don't seem to matter. >> • Actual Speedometer speeds don't matter...just RPM's >> >> Thanks! >> Aaron >> '85 Vanagon 250,000 miles > >An additional problem that I have been having is when I come to a stop >sometimes the van will die as soon as I put in the clutch, or will >hunt - almost stalling and then back to 800rpm, then stall completely. >I looked in the archives, but there are so many hunting/stalling fixes >that I wouldn't know what to start with first. > >If you want I would be glad to look at things in the archives so that >you don't need to revisit topics. I just need a direction to go in. > >Thanks for the help! >Aaron