Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:40:49 -0500
From:         Paul Impellizzeri <pmi@BLUEGRASS.NET>
Subject:      extremely high coolant pressure

I got a quick question. I have been having problems with hoses rupturing and most recently the end blowing out of the big plastic tee on the right hand side of the motor. I am getting ready to order the replacement tee and want to get all the parts in one order if possible.

Here is what I have going now. I have gutted the thermostat so it is running wide open. It was bad and had to cut it out on the side of the expressway...wasn't opening up.

I am thinking that the problem (aside from the thermostat) is the pressure cap on the expansion tank not properly keeping the pressure.

Am I on target with this assumption or is there more I should look at. I have already blown 4 hoses and t-stat and a tee fitting and gallons of coolant.

All this just started happening in the last month. The engine is a brand new 2.1 rebuild from VWoA. I have 10 month/10,000 flawless miles on it.