Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Dec 2001 02:51:21 EST
From:         Steve Lashley <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A twist on dual-battery configurations

In a message dated 12/20/01 7:40:36 PM, dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET writes:

<< If the aux battery were totally dead or shorted, as soon as you >turned on the ignition, it would try to pull everything from the starting >battery all at once, and the relay would let it. The result of that sudden >massive current transfer could be a fire or explosion. No, it is not a huge >risk, but it is a real one, just as there is that potential when you try to >>

The original Westfalia setup only draws current from the alternator and then only when that current is available. I tested this out in my '74 Westy, and I would guess it would hold true in a Westfalia Vanagon if anyone wants to try it out.

You will have a wire running from your voltage regulator to your battery relay. This wire supplies the voltage to the relay and allows current to flow through your aux battery.

When I turn the ignition key in my westy, there is no current in this wire. Only when the engine is running is there any current, and only then will the aux battery charge. If you are installing the Bus Depot relay, I suggest you wire it up the same way as the Westfalia. Refer to the Bentley wiring diagram to find the correct connection at your voltage regulator.

Steve Lashley SKL Enterprises Inc. http://EuroCampers.com 636-797-9015 636-789-2127 fax