Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:15:35 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front bearings...
Comments: To: rbias@HOTMAIL.COM

All of the guru on the list told me to take the hubs and bearings to a machine shop and have them properly pressed in. I took them to a shop and the fellow said he'd press them in. I stepped back into the shop area and saw he was hammering them in with a 3 pound mall and an iron rod. The only thing that got pressed was my wallet.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air Cooled

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:53:02 -0500 Richard Bias <rbias@HOTMAIL.COM> writes: > Good evening All, > My Van was acting strange on the way home tonight. My left front > was > making noises and by the time I got near my home, it would actually > drag the > left front. I saw grease from the grease cover too. I had trouble > with the > front caliper (same side) so I looked at that first. Jacked the Van > up, > pulled the wheel, Caliper looked fine. Put the Van down, looked at > both > back wheels and pulled drums to check brakes. Then I thought, it > was > definitely the front... Jacked the front back up and grabbed the > wheel on > the top and pulled... "wiggle, wiggle, wiggle"... I said "Oh no". > Pulled > the grease cap and metal shavings all over. Blew out my front > bearings. > Here comes the request for assistance... Bentley tells me I need a > "copper > drift" to do the front bearings. I don't have one. Do I really > need it and > could someone point me to a web page that has the front bearing > procedure on > it? Thank you and Merry Christmas. > > Richard and Annemarie > 85 GL "Buba" > > _________________________________________________________________ > Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: > http://mobile.msn.com > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.