Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:38:06 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Life At 40 Below (Webasto)
Comments: To: Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>

Interesting story. Ilived in Fairbanks in the late 60's and early 70's. Used to drive out to Fox and get my drinking water from the artesian watering point that used to be there. It was fun in those days. Even at 40 below the water ran. Of course ice was piled up all over the place. The last time I was there a few years ago the artesian flow was gone. There had been so much building with new wells all over that tapped into the aquafer (sp) that it drew the pressure down and nobody has artesian water anymore. So sad.

My first year in Fairbanks the temps got down to -48. I had a new Volvo I had brought up from the states, and had installed new Michelin tires I had ordered in from Sears. At that time, the tires were not tubeless, and to get the 40,000 mile warranty I had to get the special inner tubes that went with the tires. I went out in the morning of the first day of that deep cold and all 4 tires were flat. I thought someone had vandalized my care. I put the thing on jacks, got the tires off and my neighbor took me and the tires to the station to check them out. The tire man said they were so cold i would need to leave them in their shop until they warmed up so the rubber would flex and they could get the tire off the rim. Way late that afternoon I got a call, and was told I needed to come to the station. They wanted me to see something. When I walked in, the attendant said "Look at this!" He submerged my inner tube from one tire and 9 million bubbles arose in the water completely around the tube. Looked like some one had stuck holes in a pin cussion. Well, I was blown away. The attendanat explained..! "You have here butyl rubber tubes, which are great in warmer climated, but here in this cold, the stuff gets hard and developes tiny cracks. That is what has happened. Only natural rubber works here.!" Well, I bought 4 natural rubber tubes at $25/each. installed. Pricey lesson about the cold, but an interesting one, and it added to the adventure of living in Alaska.

Even with the new tubes, in the extreme cold the flat side of the tires after sitting, would take a bit of travel before rounding out. I always had to lived with the bumpty whump of each tires flat spot when I started of every day.

I always bought tires that had that "tacky" quality in them for the ice. In all those years in Alaska I never ever had to use chains, an only when I bought my '85 Vanagon GL did I have a need for studded tires. But on that rig there was a definite need.

I had an oil pan heater installed. It worked but was very marginal. As for 8interior su[pplemental heat, I had none. Just the stock heaters, which worked well.

I did have a '68 loaf, which had a 30,000 btu Suburban Motor home heater in it. Burned propane, and boy would that thing perform. Would get so hot it would melt the snow off your car.

Miss the good old days in Alaska.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

..