Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Dec 2001 14:03:33 -0800
From:         John Clemens <jbclem@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Transmission question about ring gear shims(S1 & S2)

This is not a Vanagon question, but I have a lot of faith in this list(and I don't know where else to ask this question). If I'm out of line, does anyone know a Bug list that is as good as this one.

I am resealing the final drive covers on a 1966 Bug, swing axle, and having removed everything, including the differential and those special shims(S1 & S2) that set the ring gear position, find that I am a bit unsure as to which side of the differential one of them(the shims) came off of. These shims slide over the tube like parts of the differential housing that the differential side gears fit into.

There are only two types of these shims, the thick ones(2-4 mm) and the thin ones (.25mm). I know that on this transmission, one side, the clutch lever side(driver's side) had one thick(3.5mm) shim and one thin(.25) shim. Of that I'm sure. But I have one more thick shim(3.3mm) and I didn't mark which side it came off. I'm 99% sure that it goes on the other side(the passenger side) because it makes no sense that there would be two thick shims(and one thin) together on the one side.

But I want to be 100% sure of this because I don't really want to have to do this all over again in the event there is a ring and pinion howl after I take my first test drive. Can someone help me out with this? I'm sure it's an easy question for a trans rebuilder, but I don't know one I can call on at this time.

Thanks,

John