Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Dec 2001 18:37:26 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another operating temp question
Comments: To: earthboy@HOME.COM

My 83 Air cooled runs at 204/240 Fahrenheit on the highway, depending on how hard I push it. I consider 240 Fahrenheit a max that I ever want to see but when the engine was new I saw 265 Fahrenheit a couple of times. In realty I can get different gauge readings just by switching sending units so at best you're reading only approximate temperatures. The boiling water test is good to test the gauge / sender setup and then you'll know at least where 212 is unless you're in Denver and you will boil water at about 180 so a good quality mercury thermometer must be boiled at the same time to get accurate readings. Mostly around town it barley moves off the 60 Celsius mark but after 20-30 minutes run it reaches about 100 Celsius.

Stan Wilder

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:54:11 -0500 Greg Marshall <earthboy@HOME.COM> writes: > What should the operating oil temperature of my aircooled engine be? > On the > highway, mines's running about 80 celsius. That's abour 175 > fahrenheit. > > Seems low to me, but i'm not sure.. > > Thanks, > > Greg. > 82 westy > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.