Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Dec 2001 14:44:16 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lowering kit?
Comments: To: joseph Trussell <joetruss@HOTMAIL.COM>

Although I am new to working on Vanagons I am not new to construction work and carpentry. I have done a lot of garage door work, and even cut off sections of buildings, moved whole walls and cut off AND extended roofs. I do know what I am talking about and your job sounds very easy to do.

I do not know your garage configuration but if you have a digital camera and can email me a photo of the interior above the door framing I may be able to offer some tips. If you are lucky you will have a foot or more of framing above your door. Most garages do.

It is really no big deal to cut some height out on top of your door and reframe it and re-hang your door. You could do it in just a few hours especially if you use new 2 by 4's for the bottom of the new framing. Use 3" deck screws and not nails and the job will go easier. Pre drill to make it still easier. Just snap a chalk line, get or borrow a skill saw and a drill then cut away. My advice is to do all your cutting from inside before you make your final outside cut. A good sawzall will be helpful. And sharp new blades. And get sawzall hacksaw blades to cut through nails.

If you choose to work from the outside then after you cut out a section tall enough for new entry (with a few inches to spare,) go inside and cut 1 & 1/2 inches more from the bottoms of the 2 x 4 vertical framing to make room for a new 2 x 4 that will run the length of the new door header. Brace the door in the middle or reuse the old header, if it is a wide span. (An older header might be wider than 1 & 1/2 inches. Just measure twice and cut once.)

It is difficult to give advice without seeing the job but you can do it yourself. A construction worker or carpenter will charge a small fortune and make it sound difficult. It is not difficult. It is easy. It just takes time.

You can actually frame everything in from the inside before you make the final cut if it is winter with snow and ice and cold where you live. It is actually easier to frame from the inside requiring less cuts and less work. Then you can run a heater in there while you work.

If it was me doing the improvement I would frame everything in from the inside, including preparing a garage door extension to bolt on as a final step.

You can add a section to the bottom of your door with some imagination and maybe even recycle the lumber from the cut out above the door. But I like to use new material for this kind of thing.

You do not need to raise your garage but that does sound like a good method also (but it will take more time.)

If you are interested, Email me some photos and I will try to give you more informed tips.

William Polowniak

----- Original Message ----- From: "joseph Trussell" <joetruss@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, December 24, 2001 11:57 AM Subject: Lowering kit?