Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:35:09 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Merry Christmas and a Vanagon question for you
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>

The major consideration is what caused the retainer to fail? If you have an air compressor and an "air hold" fitting you can do this. It is possible that the valve is seized in the guide which would cause the retainer to fail. This can be caused by excessive overheating. Various valve spring compressors are available to install the springs with the head on the car. I use a lever type that uses the rocker shaft as a fulcrum.

Dennis

Hello Vanagurus - I just bought a 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon and the only reason it stopped running for the PO was the keepers for the number three cylinder intake valve came off and the engine quit running.I don't know what would cause this to happen. The cylinder heads were replaced 40,000 miles ago so I would like to avoid removing the head . Is it possible to have new keepers installed with the cylinder head on the vehicle ? Has anyone done this ? Before actually starting the engine if and after the keepers are installed successfully I would check the compression. Perhaps this is wishful thinking but I thought I would ask just in case. Thanks - Robert K with limited knowledge of the WBX. 1982 Westfalia w/2.0 Golf engine 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender

_____