Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Dec 2001 15:07:36 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV joints. Adding new grease.
Comments: To: Ben McCafferty <ben@kbmc.net>

Dear Ben and all,

I think it is a good thing that I have been inspired by this list to re-grease my CV joints. I just put my van up on ramps and crawled under to inspect the boots and the 6 CV bolts that hold it on to see what tools I need. The bolts look like the 12 star type (available from Sears? an archive post said I think.) The boots look new but, the small end is not clamped down at all. My neighbor who has a VW bug says that any grease will have been spewed out and that is why you need to clamp it down with a nylon tie. He also says the CV grease is more liquid than thick.

The fact that there are no clamps on the small end of the boot gives me great concern. I intend to use the needle method ASAP as soon as I find the CV grease cartridges that go in the mini grease gun.

My CV overhaul may not wait until Spring but maybe ASAP when I assemble all needed tools. I remember "Scotty" from a star trek episode cussing out someone and saying "How many times must I tell you, the right tool for the right job?"

Does anyone know the availability of the CV grease in the cartridges which are more convenient to use and less costly than the $4 tube of 3 OZ CV grease? And from where?

William Polowniak Vanagon site http://members.home.net/holisticdream/vanagon1989.htm