Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:14:26 -0500
From:         Mike Hugill <mike@EVERGREENGROUPINC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Temperature guage reading wrong?
Comments: To: briandeanatkins@NETSCAPE.NET

Hi Brian,

As I understand, the warning light on the water temp guage actually signals low fluid level in the coolant reservoir tank. I am not sure what the connection with going up or down hill may be, but if you are loosing coolant through expansion tank overflow, you might have a leaking head gasket. I had a leaking head and it caused many bizzar symptoms. Once air (exhaust gases) get into the cooling system through the head leak, often times the fluid ceases to flow from the radiator through the engine block. One of the results is that your water pump burns up b/c there is no fluid flowing through it (I think it takes a long time for the pump to be damaged). Also, the fluid that is stranded in the block gets very hot. Perhaps when your van hits a hill, the coolant shifts due to gravity (rather than being pumped) and you get the funny readings of the super cool air that has been sitting in the radiator for 5 or 10 minutes swapping with the super hot fluid that has been stranded in the block?

If you have a clear section of coolant hosing you can actually see an air bubble as it passes throught the system.

Hope that helps and that you don't have a head leak

Mike

Mike Hugill Principal Recruiter Evergreen Group, Inc. P.O. Box 536 Garrett Park, MD. 20896 (301) 942-8168 mike@evergreengroupinc.com www.evergreengroupinc.com YahooIM: evergreengroupinc ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Atkins" <briandeanatkins@NETSCAPE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2001 9:58 AM Subject: Temperature guage reading wrong?