Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:08:06 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Let's make vented catalytic heaters

Marshall said -

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hi Volks:

I have one of those Coleman BlackCat catalytic heaters - and it works great.

However, like we've discussed on this list before, it's not vented, so it deposits moisture and CO plus Co2 in the cabin. I haven't mentioned O2 depletion (but that's not a deposit, it's a withdrawl!)

So, we also know about the PlatCat heaters, which are vented. Quiterare and expensive, and not too portable.

If somebody on the list would describe how the PlatCat seals the combustion, but manages to transfer the heat, it'd be great.

Then, perhaps we can use that as an example, figure out how to make our BlackCats vented, and use it without the above mentioned "deposits". >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just installed a PlatCat. The burner pad is rectangular, taller than it is wide, and it has a hood across the top, something like a range hood, but it only sticks out an inch or so from the surface of the pad.

When it's running, a vent fan is pulling air through that hood, through a blower assembly, up through a tube in the back of the unit, and from there through whatever vent you have it connected to.

There is a circuit board in the unit which checks for back-pressure in the vent. If it's plugged it shuts down the unit. I believe it also shuts gas flow down if the pad doesn't light.

You will lose some heat out the vent, just like you do with a range hood, but the pad is producing mostly radiant heat, rather than hot air, so it isn't too bad.

Hopes that helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, Idaho mike_l_f@hotmail.com