Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Dec 2001 13:34:10 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Fuel with water back please
Comments: To: CTONLINE@webtv.net

I have friends that live in smaller farming communities and they don't have the condensation drip from their cars and trucks. Its especially easy to tell when you start up an old 8N Ford tractor with the exhaust sticking up through the engine cowl......... you don't get covered with black gook. There simply is almost zero unburned fuel or fuel condensates being exhausted. The more % alcohol the higher % of genuine tap water you can add to generic gasoline. Service stations never pump the condensation out of their tanks they just dump in enough water absorption compound to make the fuel burnable. (Quoted from Uncle in the Fuel Business for 50 years). I very seldom buy premium fuel in small towns for this reason, the fuel is more likely to have moisture in it since they don't sell as much as they do the standard grade. A little moisture doesn't hurt a 350cid Chevy or big Ford engine but it really knocks a little VW engine in the dirt. I always carry a can of Berryman fuel additive or other compound that removes moisture from my tank. If you get moisture the first sign is backfiring before the engine quits or it just chugs along on two or three lucky cylinders until the moisture is gone. The back firing can destroy your AFM and cause crankcase pressure that exhibits itself as oil leaks, one sure sign that you've got crankcase pressure is that your dipstick moves out of its seat in the tube. If this is making you sleepy, stop reading now because there is more. I did a full 14 gallon fill up in Monroe LA before heading back to Dallas (230 miles) when I pulled the fuel nozzle out it had a few sports left that hit the oily driveway. The few spirts spread out just like any liquid on a flat surface but I could see bubbles floating in it........ water. I left out without adding my reserve can of Berryman and about four miles down the road I was having to pump the gas (useless on injected cars) just to keep it running. I poured in a half can of Berryman and rocked the Westy from side to side hoping for a good mixing action. Back on the road again it was still sluggish and hiccuping so I dumped the other half of the Berryman in and gave it a good shaking after I got on the road by making a few good panic brake applications. It smoother out farther but not humming like I was accustomed to. After about 50 miles I could see that it was really sucking the fuel (much more than normal) so I stopped and topped off the tank and picked up an off brand of fuel condensate fix to hold in reserve. By this time I was looking for a dry ditch to dump my watery fuel in and the performance got pretty acceptable once the engine temp was at optimal. I just kept wondering if draining the tank would get the water out since in Vanagons and Westies you have 1.5 gallons of untouchable fuel that you just can't access unless you're at a 30 degree upward incline. I was also wondering it my Westy would run on the Coleman Lantern fuel in case I drained off too much. Both the Westy and myself survived the trip and I drained off as much fuel the next day as I could get out of the tank and jacked it up on the drivers side to get more out (in tank filter is supposed to stop water but doesn't). I added the reserve fuel conditioner and it allowed me to get almost another two cups of whatever from the tank. Whatever it was it wasn't flammable cause I tried it. Even with the additive in presence it just wouldn't burn, I particularly liked the caramel color of this stuff. All types of air and fuel tanks are more susceptible to condensation in winter months and vehicle tanks should be kept as near full as practical to reduce this situation. When I go flying I always take a fuel sample from the wing tanks and I've found water bubbles several times. With airplanes you just can't dump in additives you must pay to have your tanks pumped and replace the fuel. Be aware that your perfect running VW vehicle can be cratered by pushing it on bad fuel.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air Cooled ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.