Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Dec 2001 14:21:27 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cut you spark plugs
Comments: To: ChrisS@INFORMS.COM

Multiple electrode spark plugs are the norm in aircraft engines where fouling can be very serious. After WWII there were numerous varieties of multi electrode plugs introduced to help old engines, oil burners and engines running on poor fuel to overcome fouling that was all too common in engines running leaded fuels. If your engine is in good condition the purchase of multiple electrode plugs might be a waste of money or just overkill. If you're interested in doing your own testing, install the plugs fill the fuel tank full up and run it 100 miles at 60 mph without stopping for a restroom break or anything else. Check the plugs and install the stock plugs and run back under the same rules. Make this plug change at a service station and monitor your fuel use after a run over the top fill up. There you've answered your own question. I'd speculate that some vehicles will perform better with the multiple electrode plugs and visa versa. Another simple test is to set three spark plugs at .010 and one at .016, you'll immediately notice that you're getting premature spark by the detonation under load. So when that individual stated that these multiple electrode spark plugs could ruin an engine he was most likely speaking from experience of pre detonation that indeed will shorten engine life. The proper multiple electrode plugs would probably not detonate improperly. Beware of your favorite FLAPS, they've handed me *get by* heat ranges many times and boy you should see the wide variety of rotor arms they've put on me. Check the applications manual published by the Spark Plug manufacturer (FLAPS will have one). Many times manufacturers move a part number into a broader category to soften inventory loads and specialized vehicles like Vanagons just get lumped in with a broader range of vehicles. Here is one I've always wondered about, 80-83 Air Cooled run solid core spark plug wires, the resistor is at the plastic plug connector end (approx 1 OHM) but I've had both solid core and resistance coil wires furnished with solid core wire sets. Both coil wires seem to function OK. I speculate that the resistance coil wire is for static supression relating to car radios although neither seem to zizz my radio.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 13:29:19 -0600 Chris Stann <ChrisS@INFORMS.COM> writes: > >Multiple electrode spark plugs do not create multiple sparks. The > extra > >electrodes are there just in case the other ones fail. So in this > case I > don't see the reason to pay extra for fancy spark plugs for our > Vanagons > (content) when well maintained OEM plugs will do just the same. > <<<SNIP > > Yes... BUT > > The un-shrouding of the spark and exposing it to the gas mixture has > a > desirable effect on efficient combustion. The Bosch +4 are > better in > this aspect than our OEM plugs. > > I personally noticed that my WBX runs more smoothly and more eagerly > with > Bosch +4 as opposed to the OEM recommended plugs. > > Chris. > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.