Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Dec 2001 19:54:15 -0600
From:         Dart 330 <dart330@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      changed coolant and rear heater core

Well I set out to flush my old green coolant the PO had put in, put in new blue coolant, put in a new rear heater core, and put in new plastic T's for the hoses to the rear heater. I changed out the the T's first, this was pretty easy, just hard to get both hands up in there to do it.

Next I took out the old heater core and put in the new one. Fit very well, didn't find an old gasket or o-ring where the core bolts to the shut off valve. I didn't have a new one to install due to xmas shipping delays so I just bolted it like the old one. No leaks so far, perhaps I will put in the o-ring next time I change the coolant.

Then I put in the 5/8 inch T piece (from the prestone flush kit $4) up front above the spare wheel where the hose is already cut with an adaptor in it. Took out the bleeder screw on the radiator and the cap on the coolant tank.

Then turned on the hose, the kit came with an adaptor with a pressure regulator, and waited for coolant to come out the back and front. Well it came out the back for several minutes and then turned clear but it never came out the radiator. I was following Erik Valeur instructions (which were very helpful) and they stated to turn on the car after coolant started to come out the radiator. It never did so I went ahead and started it and then it came out. After it was clear both ends I turned off the car and the water and took out the T piece and put the hose back together.

Drained the coolant tank of water and filled it with coolant, put the bleeder screw in a little, angled the bus on the driveway so the front was at least 4 inches higher then the rear. Had my friend hold the engine above 2000rpm as I continued to add coolant. Waited for no more air bubbles and shut the bleeder bolt. Drove the van around the block and did it again. Let it cool off and topped off the expansion tank and went for a half hour drive.

The coolant temp stayed just a shy lower on the warning light then it ever had and the rear heat is very nice. I was afraid to work on the coolant because if I messed something up I couldn't drive it anywhere, but with the help of the list, and reading the archives, it was easy.

Thanks, Nathan Wood 85 Westy 74 Bus