Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Dec 2001 10:00:57 -0600
From:         Shawn Clark <firefly1@INTOP.NET>
Subject:      <UPDATE>Struck Transmission -84

Volks:

First, thanks for the replys and all the info, I've received. Being new to Vanagons, this has been an excellent resource already.

As a recap: Found an 84 Westy. Bad clutch slave cylinder led to slamming into gear. The tranny stuck.

Transmission: The tranny "seems" to shift into all gears, even reverse. I had a friend row thru the gears and I watched the shift linkage. All seems well. BUT the tranny is still stuck in one gear. Is this the infamous 3/4 slider problem? I remember hearing about the ole aircooleds breaking inside the nosecone causing similar problems. I'd love to hear about reputable transmission rebuilders (and warnings about others). I'm in Mississippi, so shipping could add significantly to the cost.

Engine: It cranked on the first turn of the engine. BUT, It has a very erratic idle. 1500RPMs down to 500 on about a 6 second cycle. Possible causes? Vacuum leak, Idle stabilizer?

Also, any info/resources on Digijet trouble shooting would be appreciated. I'm fairly familiar with Bosch fuel injection systems. I even put a K-jetronic on my 1600DP in the 71. But, I can't seem to find much on Digijet.

Sidebar: I spoke to the owner via telephone. I may be able to get an even better price than the $800 quoted by the mechanic. It seems Daddy has sunk all the $ he is going to into this thing and wants to cut his losses:-).

Thanks for all the help.

Shawn Clark 71 Westy 1.6 CIS and maybe an 84 Westy soon.