Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:19:08 -0800
From:         Brad Williamson <max2@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      85 westy needs a rebuild or Tiico ? or sell it?

Hi: I have a 85 westy 1.9 ,4 speed manual I bought for $2500 about 2 weeks ago. Well turns out i got taken for a ride, and the head gaskets are leaking air into the water system and the VW dealership says there is a cam bearing ready to go out. I guess its noisy. (sounds like a VW engin to me) Well, Can anyone give me ideas on what to do ? I dont think its a good idea to dump cash into this engine. I guess head gaskets only last for about 80k.And since im not able to do the heads and stuff myself its going to be alot of money . I need dependability ! I wanna drive this westy out to CA. Is this a good candidate for the Tiico engine ? If so how much are the full tiico kits ? I was hopeing there was another kit out there that has all the parts and I could supply the engine. I have a buddy with a 2.0 out of a wreked 96 jetta ,real low miles. or should I try to sell this thing ? Man what a bummer this is .Anyone with ideas plesae let me know. Thanks