Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:14:04 -0500
From:         "Carrington, Tom" <TCarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Now, Front Bearing "saga"...
Comments: To: Richard Bias <rbias@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi Richard,

What it sounds like happened is that the bearing's inner race has fused itself to the spindle. This happens sometimes when a bearing goes bad, and they are a royal pain to remove after this happens. That schreeching noise you heard while driving was when the bearing had locked up, and the inner race was turning on the spindle. You may have to resort to force to fix this.

First off, keep in mind that your goal will be to SAVE THE SPINDLE. The rotor is relatively cheap ($45 or so) and easy to replace if you had to sacrifice it.

Step 1. Go back to Sears, trade in the broken screwdriver and buy a set of "cold chisels" and punches. Use one on the smaller chisels and a hammer to whack between the inner and outer race in order to destroy the bearing cage. This will allow all the tapered rollers to come out and give you some wiggle room. You may have to dig in and repeat whacking to get all the rollers and the now-mangled bearing cage out. After some cussing and cleaning, you should be able to see the inner race on the spindle.

Step 2. Go find a friend. I know, hard to do when it's cold out. Have your friend pry against the back of the inner race with your new screwdriver. Not hard enough to bend it or break off the tip, but some pretty firm pressure. Now you need to take the next size up chisel and hit the race from an angle. Imagine that the inner race is a frozen bolt, and that you need to unscrew it. If you can get it to start turning while there is pressure from the srewdriver pushing out, then the race will unscrew itself from the spindle.

If this isn't working, use a torch (if avail) to heat the race and repeat the above procedure. If you can heat the race, it will cause the diameter to increase and possibly loosen its grip.

If step 2 does not work, prepare to sacrifice the rotor. Use a combination of the biggest chisel in the set and a hacksaw to cut and fracture the cast iron of the rotor down to the outer race (the outer race of the bearings are pressed into the rotor). Remove the outer race. Now try heating, beating and prying the inner race until it comes off. If it still doesn't, then take the hacksaw and cut a diagonal slice almost through the inner race. If you could cut a straight line across, it would be easier...but even after all that destruction, you still don't have a good angle on it with a hacksaw. Better yet, if you have a Dremel tool, use the small abrasive wheel and slice a straight line across, just not all the way through the inner race. No Dremel tool? Go open your gifts under the tree. There's *got* to be one in there, right? :)

Remember, SAVE THE SPINDLE! One you have a nice line cut, use a medium chisel straight down the "lay of the line" and a not-too-hard whack will cause the inner race to split, releasing its grip on the spindle. Not pull off the remains of the ruined rotor.

Step 3. Next step is to use some wet/dry sandpaper to recondition the surface of the spindle where the inner race was stuck. Cut the paper into long strips about 3/4" wide, and polish the metal smooth. Use a 100 or so grit to start, work up to 220 and 400. Keep going until your new outer bearing slides onto the spindle without any force.

From that point on, you are back to the "normal" steps of servicing the bearings.

Good luck!!

TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://www.relitech.com/tomc http://volksweb.relitech.com 85 Vanagon Crew Cab 82 Westy diesel=>gas conversion 81 Checker A-11 (Taxi) 65 Notchback