Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Dec 2001 19:45:34 -0500
From:         "John P. Flaherty" <jflahert@MAINE.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW antifreeze ?

I've used Sierra for a couple of years without problem. The label absolutely does say phosphate free.

Now I'll ask the chemists on the list. Isn't the only purpose of the ethelyne glycol to lower the freezing point? If so, what difference could propylene glycol make to the engine? I know it's heat transference isn't quite the same but I never noticed a difference in my temp guage reading.

Also, didn't I read on the list that the orange stuff tends to gum up after a couple of years?

John Flaherty Portland, Maine '84 GL ----- Original Message ----- From: Robert Keezer To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2001 3:09 PM Subject: Re: VW antifreeze ?

You Wrote:

>Could someone please tell me the VW part number for the correct Autobahn >antifreeze to use. My local VW dealer said to use Prestone. >I have been using Sierra as it says that its Phosphate free. > >Steve Cotsford

Though Sierra may be phosphate free, it is propylene glycol based, not ethylene, as has VW recommended. If you study the labels you will see that the Orange Dex-Cool or Orange Extended life anti-freeze labels state the formula is ethylene glycol based which doesn't contain phosphates, silicates, bromides or amines. The green propylene glycol based antifreeze Sierra may be safe for animals and perhaps the environment-but the engine? If it is phosphate free, the label did'nt say phosphate free or I missed seeing it. So far what I have learned from the list and others , the Orange stuff is safe to use as a replacement for the Blue stuff. The type is most critical for the WBX.

I have been using the Prestone orange extended-life for 3 years now with no problems. I have seen it in the new VW's at the dealership. Does anyone know if the color represents the presence or absence of phosphates, amines, bromides ,silicates,propylene or etheylene glycol? I am inclined to think this is a universal color coding like those used for fuels like stove oil and Diesel, etc.

Robert K 1982 Westfalia w /2.0 Golf engine