Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:33:52 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM>
Subject:      CV joints. Adding new grease.

I'm going to put some new CV grease in my CV joints not because they are a problem, but for preventative maintenance.

I read through the archives last night and got some very good guidance, but I have a few questions. I can't access vanagon.com search link today for a refresher (It must be down for maintenance or ??)

I'm going to use the needle method, I.E., insert a grease gun needle under the small end of the CV boot.

I don't want to take the CV joints or boots off because I don't think they need it yet and besides it seems like a lot of work-- and messy.

Questions:

1. The archives mentions a "reverse needle nose pliers tool." Can this tool be used to remove the clamp on the small end of the boot? Or must the clamp be cut or broken to get it off. One list member mentions using a plastic tie to clamp the boot back tight, so I'm not sure.

2. Where can this tool be bought?

3" Is there a special kind of CV grease that I must use or will any CV grease work?

4. Is there danger of the needle" breaking off inside the boot? It is described as only a 1/16 inch needle. How can so much grease go through that small a needle?

5. Has anyone taken photos of this method of packing fresh grease into the CV joints or is there a photo instruction site for those of us who find prefer visual guidance helpful?

6. Do the front's need to be packed with CV grease also?

7. Anything else I should be aware of.

William Polowniak Vanagon site http://members.home.net/holisticdream/vanagon1989.htm