Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Dec 2001 00:11:51 +0800
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Replacing a brake light bulb (long)

My wife told me that one of my brake lights wasn't working the other day so I decided to fix the problem. For most people, this is probably a 10 minute job in the driveway, but not for me. So far I have done the following:

Read the owners manual and determined what type of bulb I needed, #1034 for tail/brake bulb, #1073 for reverse & turn bulbs.

Went to the FLAP's and double checked the Sylvania Bulb selector and they told me that I needed to use the European P21W/5 for the tail/brake bulb and a regular P21W for the reverse & turn bulbs. The bulbs looked identical to the 1034/1073 bulbs but cost more.

Made a decision that since I had never replaced any of the taillight bulbs that I would replace them all now. Purchased (2) P21W/5 bulbs and (4)1073 bulbs and headed home.

Later that evening, I removed both tail light assemblies and discovered that I actually needed four bulbs per tail light and none of them was a P21W/5. I wrote down the part numbers from the old bulbs and headed back to the FLAP. I ended up purchasing (6) P21W bulbs (for brake, turn and backup) and (2) R5W bulbs (for tail light) and headed back home.

I cleaned both the lens and socket plate thouroughly with soap and water and dried. I also cleaned the rear panel of the van, the area's behind (in front of) the tail lights and the wiring harness and connector cover. I cleaned the positive contact at each bulb location with Q-tips and polishing compound,installed the new bulbs and re-assembled the tail lights. The eight screws that hold the tail light assemblies were soaked overnight in Ospho, rinsed, lightly sanded and painted with gloss black spray paint.

Later today, I will need to wax the rear panel before re-installing and testing the tail lights.

So, how long does it take to change a brake light bulb? For me, I probably have a couple of hours into it and a 1/2 hour of work left to do unless something else pops up. But now, I have the satisfaction that I may not have to change another tail light bulb in this vehicle for another 15 years. :<)

Vanagons - not just a vehicle, a disease.

Happy Holidays to all

Tim Hannink Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition Winter Park, Florida http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/