Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Dec 2001 17:12:11 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Parting out vs. Repairing an '85 Westy
Comments: To: mike.moery@ACSALASKA.NET

Stan Wilder wrote in Re:Screwed in a Westy Deal: Don't try to salvage a bad deal.............. just wreck out the vehicle and go get a good one. ---------------------------------- I might have foot in mouth disease but I've been buying and restoring aircooled Westfalias for several years and replacing the engine is just the start of having a dependable vehicle. Historically engine rebuild and parts are about 1/2 that of Waser boxer parts. Unless you get a very good re builder (the list has made me aware of about four) the rebuild job is going to be wrought with exactly the same problems as the old engine. It has been stated by some of the 1.9 and 2.1 rebuilder that the main bearings are no longer manufactured, the cases are no longer available and every crankcase requires extensive high precision machine work to make it useable. That wasn't saying make it good, just useable. I'm going to agree that any Westy has substantially more value than a Vanagon of any year but the guy bought transportation and a camping vehicle....... what he got was a year long project that is going to cost him four grand additional to get on the road in a trustworthy condition. I say a year long project because after paying all of my monthly bills, Christmas, Auto insurance a few bucks a month for camping trips I'd find it hard to come with $3300.00 in cash for a rebuilt engine with a core charge or double freight to save the core charge. If the PO knowingly hid major problems or misrepresented the vehicle the there is always small claims courts that handle claims up to $5,000.00 and if there was misrepresentation or false information passed you could very likley either win all or some of your money back in court. I'm sending a copy of an E-bay scam to Mike to show him that justice can work.

Stan Wilder

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 13:22:20 -0900 Mike Moery <mike.moery@ACSALASKA.NET> writes: > I have to agree with Stephan. Part it out, and another wonderful > Westy > will be lost to the ages. Re-power it, and you've got a traveling > friend for life! > > -Mike Moery > Anchorage, AK > --------------- > ||E[__] [__]|[_]\ > | =======| - || > * * * *( o )-------( o )= > 'Ol Bessie '82TD Westy > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On > Behalf > Of Stephen Steele > Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2001 1:57 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Parting out vs. Repairing an '85 Westy > > Stan Wilder wrote in Re:Screwed in a Westy Deal: > > Don't try to salvage a bad deal.............. just wreck out the > vehicle > > and go get a good one. > > I'd think you had at least $3000.00 in salvage value. When I part > out > an > > 80-83 Air Cooled I finalize out at about $1500.00 and still have > lots > of > > spare parts left. > > Wow! I would take a bad engine in a great, clean Westy any day, over > the > opposite. Wrecking and parting out an otherwise good vehicle may be > the > most > profitable course... I can't imagine taking that course for a mere > $500 > profit. > > If we were into these vans for the money, how many of us could > wreck > and > part before the market would be saturated and we would see far fewer > of > our > vans on the road. > > I don't pretend to know Brad's financial position, but I should > think he > would be able to cut his losses by biting the bullet and putting a > reliable > 1.9 back in the '85 and use it as he intended. After all, with the > initial > $2500 and the cost of a rebuilt or reliable junkyard WBX he would > still > be > in the ballpark of the going market rate for a clean, good looking, > good > running '85 Westy... check out the pricing at WestFalia Owner's > Website > classifieds... > > > http://www.westfalia.org/ > > Of the eight 1985 listings that I saw... > $10,500, $14,000 (both Canadian$), > $6,500 and $8,500 (both California) > $6,800 and $2,600 with a bad engine (both Colorado) > $3,500 with a"coolant issue" and a "bad lifter" (IL) > and finally > $5,800 (NC) > > IMHO... > Going out to get "a good one" will cost him at least as much as the > original > purchase price and the cost to R/R his current 1.9. An I-4 > conversion > would > put him t the upper end of the 1985 price range. > > -- > Stephen Steele* > Chillicothe OH > '91 Caravelle "Hans" > '84 Westfalia "Fritz" > '81 Diesel Rabbit "Ol' Yeller" by PO > '82 Diesel Jetta "Donormobile" for... > '82 Caddy VW P.U. ( White with a nice "mossy" tone from the > years' of sitting waiting to be discovered by a VW > addict like me). > '90 Jetta GL 16 yo Sons' "together" car > '74 MGB My first car...yep, I've kept it since '74 > '93 Chevy S-10 I hate it ... soon to be "Gone" > *all rights reserved/no portion of this document may be reproduced > w/o > prior > written permission > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.